Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tire Repair

I mounted the '68 Steel Wheels on the Mustang this past weekend. One of them was low on air so I filled it up on Sunday then mounted it on the car. By Tuesday evening the tire was flat.

I took the tire to a local service station yesterday and they checked the tire. The tire bead had slightly separated from the rim. He took the tire off and put sealant along the rim and mounted it all back together. Unfortunately, he said the valve seems needed to be replaced. He only had rubber ones so this one does not match the others which have chrome valve stems.

Last night I tried to mount the tire and as I rolled it up the driveway, I heard something bouncing around inside. I figured it was part of the valve stem and took it back today. Sure enough, part of the old valve stem was left inside the tire. He fixed it up within a few minutes during my lunch break.

There is a '68 coupe parked outside the repair station. I've seen it a few times over the past few months and it has not moved. I asked about it and found they did some repairs and the owner cannot afford to pay for them. I checked out the car and it is a coupe with bucket seats. It has factory air and clock with the louvered hood. The VIN was covered and I did not want to open the hood so I looked up at the oil pan to see if it was an I6 or V8. It was a V8 but the amount of rust on the frame rails and floorpan was shocking.

No comments: