Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Steering Box Paint & Battery Tray Completion

I ordered two cans of Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator and a can of Spray Gray this week on eBay.

The cans of paint arrived today and I decided to go ahead and paint the steering box. Since the box was already stripped and primered, the job was not very difficult. I put several coats on all of the steering box. I would have preferred to remove the top plate or cover it before painting. However, I know it would just rust as it already started since I first cleaned the box.

I had to move it around a little to access all sides. I would remove the box but on a '67 Mustang, a shaft comes out of the box and runs up the column. This shaft is so long it is not possible to remove the steering box without taking off the exhaust manifold. Since my exhaust is solid from the head to the muffler, this really is not an option.

After painting the steering box, I spent a little more time putting on metal filler and sanding the battery tray area. Over 90% of the area is covered by the battery tray but I want it to look good. After working on the area a while, I primed it and was content with the finished product. I've included a picture of the panel below.

No comments: