Thursday, March 19, 2009

Engine Compartment Assembly 3

I started back on the Mustang early this morning. I rented a brake flaring took and tried to reflare the rear line connected to the residual pressure valve. After three attempts, I decided to try to replace the entire line using pre-flared lines. I visited NAPA and O-Reilly but they did not have the adapters needed to avoid flaring lines.

I purchased another 60" line and a coupler. I used a fitting which came with the residual pressure valve and the original fitting at the rear flex hose. I was able to flare this new (green polymer coated) line without too much trouble. I then bent the line to fit the car.

Kimberly helped me bleed the brake lines and continue the process of checking for leaks. We bled the brakes and as more air was removed, more leaks were found. I continued tightening all the bolts until they were gone. We worked up to the final test of me pressing the pedal to the floor for 30 seconds without any leaks. I'll check it again tomorrow and then paint the area under the hood which was damaged by the brake fluid.

I then installed both coil springs, the idler arm, center link, and tie rods. I tied up some loose wires under the dash and wired up the wire to the starter. I then completed the shock installation on the passenger side and mounted a tire.

Since I've made so much progress, I think I'll slow down the next few days. I have only four days left of my vacation and don't want to spend all day every day working on the car.



No comments: