Sunday, March 22, 2009

Oil Gauge & Horn

Today I took it easy as it is the last day of my nine day vacation.

The stock style oil sending unit is not working correctly. Since I originally did not think I had oil pressure, I reconnected a SunPro gauge which was installed when I purchased the car. Although I don't want to use it long term, I connected the gauge for now and mounted using some existing holes under the dash. The gauge does not match the others but it provides a much more accurate reading. In the future, I'll switch to the stock gauge.

The back of the steering wheel is a little melted. This results in the horn connections not aligning properly. Since the horn is positive trigger, pressing the horn button results in a short. The previous owner found this out as the turn signal plastic was melted and the horn wires were cut under the dash.

I noticed this situation when I first purchased the car and just ran separate wires for the horn so I could get inspected. Now that I have a better understanding of the horn function, I took the wires he cut and created a negative trigger system which runs through a relay. The system is better as it uses all stock underhood wiring and no one knows any better. I went ahead and completed the project now so I would not forget about it before going for an inspection.

One of the smaller tasks I completed today was to tighten the alternator belt. The belt squeals when I press the gas pedal down with moderate pressure. I did not restart the car just to test it but I will soon. I imagine this problem is now corrected.

To get the car back on the road and inspected, I need to perform the following:
- Rebuild & Install the Splash Shields
- Reinstall Fenders
- Strip & Paint Hood Support
- Shorten Sway Bar End Links
- Alignment
- Restore Turn Signal & Headlight Wiring

No comments: