Friday, March 20, 2009

Engine Compartment Assembly 4

I decided to not work as much on the Mustang today.

At around 10 o'clock, I headed to the garage and wire loomed the wire to the starter. I then put on the positive battery cable. Next, I filled the radiator with water and some Prestone Super Radiator Flush.

I turned on the key to connect a radio wire to the fuse box which came out during the rebuild. I connected the wire to a terminal in the fuse box. I then checked my connection for the new tachometer and found it was connected to constant power. I switched it to a switched power source and wire tied up all the connections.

I finished installing the driver side shock and both coil covers this afternoon. I then greased all the fittings on the steering and suspension system. I torqued all the steering components but am unable to put cotter pins in all of them. I'll need to pick up a few more from the auto parts store.

Last night, I painted the engine compartment where the brake fluid spilled. I then installed the new wheels on the front and took the car off the jacks. After a year of being jacked up, the front end seemed way too low. I layed a fender on the car just to check spacing and everything looks fine. I guess I've seen it up on jacks more than I've seen it on the ground.

I still need to work out the front alignment as the tie rods and strut bars are currently loose. The wheels are sitting on linoleum flooring with grease between the layers so I can turn the wheels easily for the alignment.

The last things I did last night was install the valve covers, wipe off the car, and sweep the floor. I'm ready to start the car but since it is so late, I don't want to wake anyone up. Additionally, if it does not start immediately, it would ruin the day.

No comments: