Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Grill Trim and Rocker Panel

I managed to find some fastners which would work to mount the trim around the grill opening. I was glad to finish this part as I worried I would not find a way to fasten the trim. It is hard to describe but if you saw the fasterners originally used, you would understand how duplicating them would be difficult.

The other difficult part is installing the single bolt in the lower back side of each fender. There is a nut which slides up into the fender. The nut is like a square welded to a rectangular nut. These side into a square hole and should turn and lock into place. You must then kind of pull on the bolt while tightening to ensure the nut does not spin around in the hole (you can not reach the opposite side).

I finished the driver side and mounted the rocker panel with little trouble. I tried the passenger side but can only get the bolt 75% of the way tightened before the nut begins to spin. No matter what I try, I can't get the nut to stop moving. I decided I would quit for the night and will try again tomorrow.

No comments: