Thursday, March 12, 2009

Instrument Voltage Regulator & Tach

The RetroGauge tachometer I ordered from Mustangs Unlimited last Sunday arrived today. The part looks great and I installed it immediately. The item looks original and will no doubt work better than the column mount VDO tach I previously used.

I purchased all the parts to make a voltage regulator from Radio Shack a little more than a week ago. I started building one then but broke a lead off the regulator and was not sure of how I would mount it to the cluster so it would radiate heat well. I picked this project back up again today so I would be finished with the instrument cluster.

The voltage regulator is made of the following parts which cost about $5:
+5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805
10.0uF 50V 20% Axial-Lead Non-Polarized Capacitor

I built the regulator and mounted it to a strap piece of metal I polished and cleaned up. You would not know it but the piece of metal came from part of a satalite dish distribution block. I've mounted the regulator to it so it would act as a heatsink.

I tested the regulator after building it and it works great. Some have made the part without the capacitors but they help keep a smooth 5V output. This is needed to ensure the gauges accurately reflect oil pressure, water temperatue, and fuel level.

The original regulator included a post with a thin strip of metal which sat on the post. The resistance of this connection caust the thin strip of metal to bounce on the post. This provided an average voltage of about 5V. Since the gauges are not incredible sensative this worked to provide accurate readings. Of coure, the one I created will be must more accurate and reliable.

I've include a picture of the front and back of the cluster and the original voltage regulator.




No comments: